Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Big Ten Superconference

The O-Zone forum really amuses me as many of the people post without really investigating the facts. I realize it is a public bulletin board and everyone is entitled to their opinion but I always try to have a fact based opinion vs. a emotion/faith based opinion. For instance, I believe that Jim Tressel is a good coach because he continues to beat Michigan and win the conference not because I feel he is a good coach. Sometimes however it is fun to put rationality aside and just do a "King for a day" type of post. Usually that involves the perfect college playoff system but lately people are arguing about who should join the Big 10. I haven't done a ton of investigating on this but I'm pretty sure that the only way it makes sense is to add a single team to get a league championship game. Adding any more teams will only dilute the payoff which I'm sure the league will avoid (yeah I know it is more complex but I'm not writing about that today). Sometimes however it is fun to dream and I was thinking... If I were king, how would I set up the New Big 10?


Adding 1 team is hard but it doesn't have the fun I'm looking for so I'm going to focus on a 3/5 team additions to take the league to 14/16 teams. These are the schools I'm looking at with a comment next to each (listing all schools I have ever heard discussed at candidates):

Strong Candidates:
  • Connecticut - Distance, history, stadium
  • Kansas - Small Market, Strong Big 12 ties
  • Kentucky - Strong SEC ties, Not a AAU member
  • Missouri - Academics
  • Nebraska - Academics, Distance
  • Notre Dame - Non-AAU Member, Alumni seek independence, Weak graduate school
  • Pittsburgh - No additional Market
  • Rutgers - Distance
  • Syracuse - Weak graduate school, Distance
Special Scenario Candidates:
  • Texas - Distance, Texas Politics
  • Texas A&M - Distance, Texas Politics
  • Oklahoma - Academics, Distance
Not a Chance Candidates:
  • Cincinnati - Academic issues, poor fanbase, no additional market
  • Iowa State - No additional Market, Non-AAU Member
  • Kansas State - Academics, Small Market, Strong Big 12 ties
  • Louisville - Academics, stadium size, Non-AAU Member
  • Marshall - Academics, Stadium Size, Small Market, Non-AAU Member
  • West Virginia - Academics, Non-AAU Member
Of this list I think we can elimate Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas State, Louisville, Marshall, and West Virginia without the need for additional discussion. They are too small and too far behind academically to join the league. Notre Dame feels it can remain successful as an independent so I am going to ignore them. I will talk about Texas at the end of the post.

In a 14 team league the most obvious choices would be Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Missouri. This adds television markets are these three schools are the best fit academically, distance and athletically. The ready made rivalry between Penn State/Pittsburgh and Illinois/Missouri makes these two schools ideal. The third school is a bit tough as no one stands out so I decided to add another team in the East. The league would look something like this:

East West
Indiana Illinois
Michigan Iowa
Michigan State Minnesota
Ohio State Missouri
Penn State Northwestern
Pittsburgh Purdue
Syracuse Wisconsin

I have seen posts with a North/South option due to the strength of the East. I don't see that happening because the traditionalists (me included) only want to see the Buckeyes playing Michigan/Penn State once a year. The West is definitely the weaker league especially if Syracuse and Pitt are able to return to their historical power.

Even more fun is a 16 team league. I'd keep the 14 mentioned above and add Nebraska and Kansas to the mix. Now it looks like this:

East West
Indiana Illinois
Michigan Iowa
Michigan State Kansas
Ohio State Minnesota
Penn State Missouri
Pittsburgh Northwestern
Purdue Nebraska
Syracuse Wisconsin

This conference really would be fun to watch as the Nebraska in football and Kansas in basketball would be huge. A West of Iowa/Wisconsin/Nebraska is a much better offset to the East of Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State than the 14 team option.

My final league I would call the FU Big 12 league. It would look like this:

East West
Indiana Iowa
Illinois Minnesota
Michigan Missouri
Michigan State Nebraska
Northwestern Oklahoma
Ohio State Texas
Penn State Texas A&M
Purdue Wisconsin

I realize this is a pipe dream but a setup like this is about the only way I see us getting Texas into the Big Ten. This conference would certainly be competitive and just getting to the championship game would be a chore. I'd feel for Wisconsin and Iowa a bit as that West conference is just brutal.

If the Big 10 ever created a super-conference like I describe above it would most likely mean that the Big East and Big 12 would have to be rearranged. The likely result would be that one of the league's would most likely disappear and some existing football programs would be scaled back. That would be sad but the truth is that the power in college sports lies in the hands of an elite few and that is only going to be more so in the coming years.

Keep in mind that I didn't look at this from the perspective of a college president but more as a fan so some of my assumptions are faulty. Still it is fun to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment