Sunday, January 10, 2010

Vitale: Carroll beat the posse

Dick Vitale has been playing the role of a good basketball analyst for a long time (as opposed to actually being a good basketball analyst). But when there is something he believes in he is pretty direct. I was watching the Georgetown/Connecticut game today and heard him say the following about Pete Carroll:

“Well, you know, to me, he beat the posse. Posse coming after him down there, the NCAA. He takes the money, the program gets hurt in the future. I really have a problem with that. These guys go on, they leave the program, take their cash and run. Because, you know, the NCAA is still investigating them for Reggie Bush. And I just feel that he beat the posse, got his cash, and off he went.”
It certainly sounds like the watercooler talk in Bristol is that USC is headed for probation. While I'm glad someone on ESPN is finally starting to talk about it I'm annoyed it has taken this long.

On the other hand, I feel for the honest players on the USC program. Whether Pete Carroll was actively involved in the scandal for him to leave them at this moment is the act of a coward. For his sake, he'd better succeed this time in the NFL because I don't know how he could ever look a kid's parents again and say, "Send your kid to me and I will take care of him." I have no doubt he could say it, I just don't know how anyone could ever believe it.

Thank God for Jim Tressel.

No comments:

Post a Comment