Monday, November 15, 2010

Best Buckeye Quarterback Ever

Someone posted today that Pryor is the best quarterback the Buckeyes have had other than Troy Smith.  While I like Pryor and he has some time, this is very premature.  That got me thinking.... who is the best quarterbacks for the Buckeyes?


Don Lamka (71) - Don't know him so I'm probably being unfair.
Jim Pacenta (76) - Don't know him so I'm probably being unfair.
Greg Hare (72) - I do know he was a leader that tore down the banner at Michigan.
Steve Bellisari (99-01) - He had all the tools but never the mentality. Bad Offensive line.
Todd Boeckmann (07) - In his Michigan game as we stopped throwing. He was that bad.
Tom Tupa (87) - Great punter but not quarterback. It didn't help Cris Carter was ineligible.
Kirk Herbstreit (91-92) - Decent quarterback on an improving team.  Had lots of moxie.
Kent Graham (91) - Strong arm but never seemed to fit into the system.
Rod Gerald (77) - The next Corny failed to live up to expectations and replaced as a senior.
Craig Krenzel (02-03) - The national championship gives him a bit of a bump.
Stanley Jackson (96-97) - Fans will never forget his 97 Michigan disaster.
Greg Frey (88-90)  - It would have been fun to watch him if the team had more talent.
Jim Karsatos (85-86) - Overlooked by many Buckeye fans.  Great arm.  No mobility.
Cornielus Greene (73-75) - Led the Woody Hayes juggernaut.
Mike Tomczak (82-84) - One of the most complete quarterbacks.
Bobby Hoying (93-95) - Led the Buckeye resurgence in the early 90s.
Joe Germaine (97-98) - Quiet but effective and deceivingly strong arm.
Rex Kern (68-70) - Put here due to his legend.  I never saw him play.
Art Schlitcher (78-81) - All time passing leader.  Post Buckeye career was tragic.
Troy Smith (04-06) - Only Buckeye quarterback to win the Heisman. 

Looking at the list you might notice that there isn't a single player on the list that could be considered an NFL starter let alone a hall of famer.  The closest is Mike Tomczak who played as 16 years in the league mostly as a well paid backup.  Kent Graham was the next best as he spent about 10 years in the league mostly as a backup.  Other than that most Buckeye quarterbacks were only in the league about 3 years and none were consistent starters (Troy Smith might be the exception but it is still early).  That said, I'm rating the quarterbacks based on their college QB play only.


The one question that remains is where would Terrell Pryor (08-10) fit.  As of right now I'd probably put him between Corny and Tomczak but there's still a lot of time to change that rank.

1 comment:

  1. Followup post:
    10 months after I made this post quite a lot has happened with Terrelle Pryor. After reviewing the list I'd put him between Stanley Jackson and Greg Frey. I'm sure part of my rating is due to how he has gutted the 2011 team but honestly his inability to pass was a huge hindrance to the offense the last few years. If I had 2 minutes left in a game I'd trust everyone I rated ahead of him before I'd send him into the game.

    ReplyDelete