Monday, August 23, 2010

I just can't stop thinking about the possible changes to THE GAME

It gets me all sentimental and puts me in a bad mood.  Today I read an article by Dan Wetzel on Yahoo.

Part of me wishes I didn't read things like that because it makes me so angry that they could screw up something as timeless as THE GAME.

A championship game doesn't need to change a thing.  The Ohio State football season has always been split into 4 parts:

Out of conference
In conference
Michigan
Post Season

All four have their own merits.  Out of conference is a warm up and gives us an idea of the potential of a team.  In conference is the core and decides the fate of a team.  Michigan is the capstone and winning it covers a team in glory for a winning season and can be the savior for a losing one. 

Buckeye fans have become accustomed to playing in the post-season but it is not a guarantee.   In the seasons we are playing well it is the reward to a team for accomplishments over the course of the season.  In those seasons where we are not as successful the memories of the last game always linger.  Those memories should be of THE GAME. 

THE GAME should for ever be the last regular season game.  To do otherwise does not hold faith to a tradition greater than us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment