Thursday, August 26, 2010

OSU Michigan Split Acceptance (Not really)

One thing I keep seeing all these people that come up with proposed divisional split now that it seems likely that Michigan and Ohio State look likely to be split up.  While I still think that ranks up there with prohibition, the Edsel, the Nazi party, and new Coke in terms of all time bad ideas, I figure I should give a little thought to how I think it should be structured.  If there isn't a split I'm in favor of a purely geographic split .. if they feel they need to split up the "Big 3" then move Penn State west and Illinois east.

The thing is they seem determined to split Michigan and Ohio State and if that is the case then what is the best way to split the league?

Barry Alvarez has confirmed that Iowa and Wisconsin will be in separate divisions.  So we know that Ohio State and Michigan will be separate which means Penn State and Nebraska will be separate since they are splitting the top 4.  Iowa and Wisconsin will be separate so the league looks like this (in order of protected rivalries).

East
Penn State
Ohio State

West
Nebraska
Michigan

At this point it seems  to be the basic structure so now we need to figure where Iowa-Wisconsin will go.  I'm guessing that league will want to have Iowa-Nebraska as a highlight game so put Iowa in the West .

East
Penn State
Ohio State
Wisconsin

West
Nebraska
Michigan
Iowa

This is where things get a bit tricky.  One way to settle it is to figure out current rivalries and try to use that to help.  Michigan and Michigan State have to play so Michigan State is going into the West.  Minnesota and Wisconsin are big rivals and while they could be protected I think the league wants to have Wisconsin and Iowa play every year and they are already separated.  So that gives us a league of:

East
Penn State
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Minnesota

West
Nebraska
Michigan
Iowa
Michigan State

That leaves Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, and Indiana as the wildcards.  It makes sense to me to split these schools by state.  While it would be nice to save the Illibuck rivalry the Buckeyes still would play them at least every other year if they aren't in the same division.  That gives me a final look of:


East
Penn State
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Indiana
Purdue

West
Nebraska
Michigan
Iowa
Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern

The only question is which of the final three in east conference will be protected but I feel pretty sure the first 3 in order of matchups.

I'd be sad if this happens but it's what I see happening right now.  The only change from my first post is a flip of Indiana and Northwestern.

PS - Just a clarification on my first paragraph ... Prohibition was actually successful as alcohol consumption in the United States dropped in half when you compare 1918 to 1935.  In fact, alcohol consumption has dropped ever since.  New Coke did better than people realize as Coke had huge increases in sales when you combine both Coke and New Coke.  The Edsel was a sales flop but was years ahead of its time so it wasn't a total flop.  Nazi party --- definitely a bad bad idea.  Is pulling out the Nazi card cheap, insensitive and overdramatic.  Yep.  But I went there.  I totally went there. (See my 7 phases of loss article ... I'm still  in phase 3).

No comments:

Post a Comment